Rotten Richie and the Ultimate Dare

Rotten Richie and the Ultimate Dare
by Patricia Polacco

Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Koha Assignment

As a preamble:

In this last FIS1311 assignment, I examined the open source software Koha. In this assignment, I focused on Koha's overall stability (particularly as evidenced on the SourceForge website). I also pointed out that Koha is flexible regarding the computer systems on which it can function. Lastly, I thought that having such an active community of users and developers that participate on the Koha listserv is a big benefit -- contributing to both developing Koha and resolving its diffficulties! The biggest disadvantage, in my opinion, was the expense of the third party commercial support for Koha -- cost savings might only be a longterm goal, not a short term achievement, due to the expense of the third party maintenance.

Here is the (brief) conclusion which I submitted in my report.

As evidenced by its stability and the interactive developments from its user community, Koha is a viable operating system. However, the possibilities of making a financial savings may only occur within a longterm usage of Koha.

2 comments:

Judith said...

It was great to meet you yesterday; I'm looking forward to working with you (go 905!). We share some favourite books: Charlotte's Web and A Prayer For Owen Meany.

kim said...

some of my (geeky) friends downloaded Koha after i wrote my review and have now used it to catalog their collective book collections.

About Me

I am a voracious reader who enjoys a wide variety of books, from historical fiction, to biographies to mysteries. I am a children's librarian, and am surrounded by books all the time! I include children's literature in my book reviews since there is a wide appeal for children's literature, and because parents play a large role in their children's reading!