Rotten Richie and the Ultimate Dare

Rotten Richie and the Ultimate Dare
by Patricia Polacco

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Book Recommendations?

I am interested in hearing if anybody would like to contribute their favourite children's (environmental) books -- if I ever have a spare moment, I always enjoy discovering new children's literature as well as following up on recommendations.

One of the most recent books for older children that I have read is the coming-of-age novel Replay by Sharon Creech, author of Walk Two Moons. The main character is Leo, a 13 year old, who dreams of acting, and who struggles to establish his own identity (especially in his large family). Although I occasionally found Leo's dreamy flashbacks a little confusing, I thought that the novel was well-written as a whole. I found it especially funny that Leo, who dreams of being a star actor, is cast in a bit part in his class play -- as an old crone!! If you ever have time, or, if you're like me and need a little light reading after doing homework, this book is definitely worth it!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

As a child I liked the book "Juniper" by Monica Furlong. It has a sequel called "Wise Child". It is about a young women who has magical powers. I totally wish I had magical powers.

About Me

I am a voracious reader who enjoys a wide variety of books, from historical fiction, to biographies to mysteries. I am a children's librarian, and am surrounded by books all the time! I include children's literature in my book reviews since there is a wide appeal for children's literature, and because parents play a large role in their children's reading!