Rotten Richie and the Ultimate Dare

Rotten Richie and the Ultimate Dare
by Patricia Polacco

Sunday, October 14, 2007

Talis conclusions

In reading the Talis paper on Library 2.0 entitled "Do Libraries Matter?", I feel that it is a good introduction to the technological possibilities that are left open to libraries, and that it is a reminder that librarians should be aware of technological developments used by patrons. Having said that, I think that the article skirts around the important issue of patron information privacy, and that it could do a much better job of explaining the measures which would be taken to prevent online vendors from tracking the patrons. Many public libraries in North America are subject to different privacy policies; in Ontario, libraries must ensure that they follow the policies of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. This paper also does a disservice to its argument by failing to quote any statistical sources to prove that drastic technological changes are considered necessary either by current patrons or for current patrons.

Finally, I do believe that Library 2.0 can only be successful (and indeed should only be used) to draw patrons into the library for services, maintaining themselves as communal sources of information. In some cases, this may mean maintaining a blog or wiki, but it could even be something as simple as posting an electronic notice on a communal resource, advertising a relevant workshop, clinic, or library acquisition.

2 comments:

Misty De Meo said...

Good point about information privacy, Tina - that hadn't occurred to me at all when I was reading it. Since they're discussing shunting a lot of library services through third-party APIs, it really brings up a lot of issues with the disclosure of information that they don't seem to have discussed.

For your last point, though I think you're right that bringing patrons into the library is valuable, I find that their most valuable suggestion is the integration of the library's functions into third party web sites. Though blogs might draw some users in, I suspect that the majority of users would be those who already make significant usage of library resources. I think that bringing in users through other websites, interesting them in the library's services, could be much more effective.

l said...

Hi Tina,

I think it is interesting that you focused on privacy issues in your review. There are many concerns around the use and ownership of the features of Web 2.0, such as the "free", "user contributed" data.

For me, I also think a lot of services already being offered by the library fit into the "Library 2.0" category, and I'm not sure how many "modern" users require much more. I think most public library web services I've come across are doing a good job at integrating items like blogs and other content.

About Me

I am a voracious reader who enjoys a wide variety of books, from historical fiction, to biographies to mysteries. I am a children's librarian, and am surrounded by books all the time! I include children's literature in my book reviews since there is a wide appeal for children's literature, and because parents play a large role in their children's reading!