Rotten Richie and the Ultimate Dare

Rotten Richie and the Ultimate Dare
by Patricia Polacco

Monday, October 15, 2007

Talis Conclusions II

In addition to my other conclusions blog, I also think that it would be difficult for a local library to maintain control over the organization and flow of information if all library catalogues were to be joined into one.

Additionally, and this will not be mentioned within my critical article review -- might I be right in asserting a view point that focusing on Library 2.0 might only include the "digital natives" and exclude other groups who are either unable to access the technology or to use it, including seniors and children (keeping this post in alignment with one of my original hopes for this blog -- to discuss children's services and technology)?

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I think that you've hit on a good point here. I made a similar point in my review. All this talk of democratizing information sounds really great. But doing so primarily through the use of the internet implies leaves out a HUGE section of the population who do not have access to the internet. Really, when you think about it, information is being made more accessible for people who already have the most access.

Misty De Meo said...

Tina, although I agree with you that it's important not to exclude other groups, I think you might be misreading the general point that I get from Library 2.0 discussions. The idea isn't to completely refactor the library, but to add a new set of services and methods of accessing existing services on top of the traditional library layer. The suggestion seems to be that the modern user, used to internet search, is at risk of being excluded by library designs that are outdated to tem or out of line with their thinking; the idea isn't to exclude, but to avoid an increasingly large group. It doesn't need to be a binary choice between one type of user or another.

That said, it seems to usually be a danger with this sort of buzzword interest that overenthusiastic adoption will lead to neglect of the core users. All things in moderation, including moderation.

About Me

I am a voracious reader who enjoys a wide variety of books, from historical fiction, to biographies to mysteries. I am a children's librarian, and am surrounded by books all the time! I include children's literature in my book reviews since there is a wide appeal for children's literature, and because parents play a large role in their children's reading!