Rotten Richie and the Ultimate Dare

Rotten Richie and the Ultimate Dare
by Patricia Polacco

Monday, October 15, 2007

Preschoolers and the Internet

As I was getting ready to head out the door, I turned on AM 680 news, expecting to hear the weather and traffic reports. What I heard first was this interesting (to me) piece of information: that preschoolers are among the fastest growing sector of the population to use the Internet. As a preschool programming instructor, this worries me, since due in part to the amount of advertising, this infringes on cognitive development, and the development of critical thinking skills (not to mention the issue of childhood obesity as well)! Might these children be considered real examples of catered-to Digital Natives??

Check this out for the full story!

www.680news.com/news/local/article.jsp?content=20071015_114042_4948

3 comments:

singingserena said...

Hey...ya...that is totally true. Obesity, not to mention early radiation and WI-FI signals going through kids brains can pose long term health concerns. But one cannot entirely blame internet. It is very apparent that in big cities, going outside to play is an even greater threat than staying indoors in front of computer. Smog, pollution, urban sprawl, UV radiation, junk foods from the local 7-11 etc..also make parents think twice about sending preschoolers to play outdoors.

1311_FayeL said...

Hi Tina!

I'm so glad you are interested in becoming a children's librarian. The post you have a bout pre-schoolers as internet users is kinda scary. Kids are learning things from sports to reading at a very young age. In some ways, they have the advantage of being "technological savvy", but ath the same time, do they really know what they are learning? I suppose researchers have done studies and tests, so I guess it's very possible??

Interesting article! and thanx for dropping a comment on my page :)

1311_FayeL said...

Hi Tina, that's great that you are interested in becoming a children's librarian.

The article you've posted is quite interesting. Preschoolers learning the internet, it's kinda scary how kids are learning at a young age at almost everything from sports to reading.

Also thanx for dropping by and adding a comment to my page, much appreciated! :)

About Me

I am a voracious reader who enjoys a wide variety of books, from historical fiction, to biographies to mysteries. I am a children's librarian, and am surrounded by books all the time! I include children's literature in my book reviews since there is a wide appeal for children's literature, and because parents play a large role in their children's reading!