Rotten Richie and the Ultimate Dare

Rotten Richie and the Ultimate Dare
by Patricia Polacco

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Shakespearephile

Thanks to my reference project on evaluating reference sources, I have really been learning a lot about Shakespeare in popular and mass culture, and find it fascinating how often he is quoted in popular media, from comic books, to television shows, to film and even in popular music!

I have just finished evaluating a source entitled Shakespeares After Shakespeare: an encyclopedia of the Bard in mass media and popular culture. It is an interesting, clearly structured, and often delightfully distracting read. I really enjoyed its focus on comics, as well as on popular films that either refer to Shakespeare or are adaptations of Shakespearean plays (one of my favourite adaptations mentioned in this work is Kenneth Branagh's musical Love's Labor's Lost, which, even though it did not succeed at the box office, is a truly enjoyable film).

If time ever allows, this encyclopedia is definitely worth a browse!

No comments:

About Me

I am a voracious reader who enjoys a wide variety of books, from historical fiction, to biographies to mysteries. I am a children's librarian, and am surrounded by books all the time! I include children's literature in my book reviews since there is a wide appeal for children's literature, and because parents play a large role in their children's reading!