Rotten Richie and the Ultimate Dare

Rotten Richie and the Ultimate Dare
by Patricia Polacco

Sunday, September 23, 2007

Children's and Youth Blogging

As previously mentioned, I am very interested in children's and youth programming within public libraries. Through reading the "Related Materials" section of the FIS 1311 homepage, I discovered that there are public libraries that, as part of their electronic services, incorporate blogs as part of their webpages for teens and youth services. Lately, I have started reading several children's and youth services library blogs, and have found one which I like in particular. It is mainly dedicated to one activity in particular, a summer reading club. By allowing participants (even anonymously) to submit book reviews which are moderated, it has meaningful comments from its youth patrons.


Since blogs are such a popular medium, I feel that they are effective forums for discussing books (as well as poetry, magazines and short stories) as well as youth activities, although I do believe that comment moderation is necessary.


I would be interested in hearing different opinions about this issue. Do you feel that libraries (and community centres as well) should offer youth-related blogs? If so, should these blogs feature sections educating youths about safe blogging practices?

2 comments:

Michele Collins said...

Hey Tina,

I think children's and youth blogs are a great way to engage young patrons. Kids love having a chance to voice their own opinion, be taken seriously, and really be heard.

It is definitely a good idea to moderate it and to educate kids on
blogging etiquette and safety.

Michele Collins said...

Hey Tina,

I had a quick peak but didn't see a list of the children's library wikis that you recommend. Can you remind me what they are?

About Me

I am a voracious reader who enjoys a wide variety of books, from historical fiction, to biographies to mysteries. I am a children's librarian, and am surrounded by books all the time! I include children's literature in my book reviews since there is a wide appeal for children's literature, and because parents play a large role in their children's reading!